Powers of Observation

If you were asked to name something right off of the top of your head about what is the most valuable thing you possess or ever possessed in your life, what would you respond with? While the variety of answers you receive from such a question are almost endless, it is understandable as everyone values things different; although I will say that I think many people would answer with something that is material of course. As humans we tend to place emphasis on owning things whether it be a nice BMW, $200-dollar pair of shoes, or a really big mansion as it may portray to others who we are and a brief measure of how we perceive ourselves. All of those things may seem valuable to one, but like all things they come to an end so when the person who is giving it value is no longer existing, more than likely it does not have the same value. In reality at times we focus on so many things we believe are important that we do not realize soon enough how temporary they are until a perspective of death is included. Take for example Antonio de Pereda’s painting titled The Knight’s Dream which features what appears to be an angel holding a banner that has written on it ‘Aeterne pungit cito volat et occidit’ which is Latin for “Eternally it stings, swiftly if flies, and it kills.” (MET). The main thought I want you to keep in mind is, is it worth giving certain possessions we own much value when they are only temporary for us?

In my trip to the Making Marvels exhibit at the Met the artifact that caught my attention the most was Antonio de Pereda’s ‘The Knight’s Dream’ oil on canvas painting dating back to 1650-1670. Normally held at the Museo de la Real Academia de San Fernando, Madrid the painting measures 152 x 217 cm. Prior to reaching the exhibit I briefly checked out other exhibits such as the Medieval Art and European Sculpture and Decorative Arts. To get there I had to make my way through the security at the main 82nd street entrance for a quick bag check following that I made my way to getting a ticket, although it is free for student in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut you have to make sure to get one to roam the museum as you like. I did notice it was a little noisy as I went in the morning when it first opened, where it was a big line from the front doors to down both sides of the steps. The interior is made of stone resembling that of Greek and Roman architecture.

Upon entering the exhibit, you realize a shift from the bright outside light to now a dimly lighted setting with blue walls that includes artifacts and descriptions of the artifact, even videos to show a demonstration of how some of them function when needed like the Moving Monk. In looking up above you will notice several projectors hanging and speakers- from which you will hear sparkling sounds about twenty-thirty seconds. The majority of the exhibit features silver artifacts in a clear glass display case, although they do have a golden look they are not. Not to mention there are security guards watching over visitors to ensure the artifacts are protected and that they do not record or take pictures with flash. I assume for the purpose of preserving the artifacts, likewise the dim lights. Although the inside of the exhibit is dim, the displays include some light, that allow you to see the artifacts clearly.  One artifact you may notice in the first section of this maze-like exhibit is the Casket by Hans Straub the elder, which holds a look similar that of a golden chest box that one might store jewelry in. This is worthy of pointing out because in walking throughout the exhibit you will realize several artifacts share the theme of death- like my chosen artifact. The painting is one of the last things you will see when you are leaving are the exhibit and if you are not paying much attention you just might miss it on the way out, just as I almost did. Framed in a goldish looking frame on its own wall opposite to a low red cushioned bench is where the painting resided. You could notice the paint brush smears in its dark area. The painting displays a man, seemingly the Knight asleep, while an angel holding the banner saying ‘Aeterne pungit cito volat et occidit’ (Refer to page 1) with a table of items that includes of a skull, clock, globe, currency, a crown and more. From looking at what is on the table, you realize the content of the Knight’s Dream as the title elicits. As the audience we are being showed how no matter what possessions we have or aspire to achieve and the value we give it, it is nonetheless going to end from an inevitable death. This painting gives much thought to how much possessions are valued regardless of what point in time we are in, that we do not give much consideration to valuing the time we have to live life.